It’s been awhile since going to and sitting down inside a theater was the norm. While we do our best to stay safe, here are a few upcoming films to look out for.
Save Yourselves! [R]
Jack (John Reynolds) and Su (Sunita Mani) are a hip Brooklyn couple who, like many of their friends, find themselves dependent on technology and unable to put down their phones. Fearing their mindless scrolling may impact their connection with each other, they seize the chance to head to an isolated cabin in the woods, vowing to unplug from the outside world for a week. Sheltered from texts and push notifications, they are blissfully unaware that the planet is under attack. As strange events unfold, the couple must figure out a way back to civilization—or what’s left of it.
Director: Alex H. Fischer , Eleanor Wilson
- Writers: Alex H. Fischer, Eleanor Wilson
- Actors: Sunita Mani, John Reynolds, Ben Sinclair, John Early, Jo Firestone, Gary Richardson, Johanna Day, Zenobia Shroff, Amy Sedaris
- Genre: Comedy, Science Fiction
This November, on Friday the 13th, prepare to get Freaky with a twisted take on the body-swap movie when a teenage girl switches bodies with a serial killer. Millie (Kathryn Newton) is just trying to survive the bloodthirsty halls of Blissfield High. But when she becomes the target of The Butcher (Vince Vaughn), her town’s infamous serial killer, her senior year becomes the least of her worries. When The Butcher’s mystical dagger causes him and Millie to wake up in each other’s bodies, Millie has just 24 hours to get her body back before she’s trapped as a middle-aged maniac forever. Problem is, she now looks like a towering psychopath, while The Butcher looks like her and has brought his appetite for carnage to Homecoming. From writer-director Christopher Landon (Happy Death Day) comes a pitch-black horror-comedy about a slasher, a senior, and the brutal truth about high school
- Director: Christopher Landon
- Writers: Christopher Landon, Michael Kennedy
- Actors: Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Celeste O’Connor, Misha Osherovich, Uriah Shelton, Dana Drori, Katie Finneran, Alan Ruck
- Genre: Horror, Comedy
From the visionary mind of writer/director Brandon Cronenberg, POSSESSOR is an arresting sci-fi thriller about elite, corporate assassin Tasya Vos. Using brain-implant technology, Vos takes control of other people’s bodies to execute high profile targets. As she sinks deeper into her latest assignment Vos becomes trapped inside a mind that threatens to obliterate her.
- Director: Brandon Cronenberg
- Writers: Brandon Cronenberg
- Actors: Andrea Riseborough, Christopher Abbott, Rossif Sutherland, Tuppence Middleton, with Sean Bean, and Jennifer Jason Leigh
- Genre: Science Fiction
12 Hour Shift [NR]
It’s 1998 and over the course of one night at an Arkansas hospital, a junkie nurse, her scheming cousin and a group of black market organ-trading criminals get caught up in a heist gone wrong.
- Director: Brea Grant
- Writers: Brea Grant
- Actors: Angela Bettis, Chloe Farnworth, Nikea Gamby-Turner, Kit Williamson, David Arquette
- Genre: Comedy, Horror, Thriller
A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, “Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive.
- Director: Denis Villeneuve
- Writers: Frank Herbert, Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, Eric Roth
- Actors: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem
- Genre: Action and Adventure, Science Fiction, Thriller